06 June 2010

Puffed Apple Pancakes

This recipe is one of my favorite breakfast recipes ever for many reasons.  First, it tastes awesome, which is key.  The second is it's just so dang pretty as it comes out of the oven, all puffy and golden yumminess, that I feel like a kitchen genius every time I make it.  And last, but definitely not least, is that it is super easy.  Once I discovered this recipe I've made it pretty much every weekend since.  It is the staple Saturday morning breakfast for my husband and me every week.

My husband had to work this past Saturday, but did it stop me from making it?  Nope (sorry you missed out, Babe).  I biked on over to my friend Ashley's house and we made a little brunch ourselves with it.  I was so excited to share it with a new friend and she was excited about making it for her husband when he gets back.  That is what cooking is about to me, sharing the love.  And now I get to share it with all of you!

Just some quick notes about this recipe...It serves 4, but since it's just my husband and me, I always make half a recipe and it turns out great (the pictures here are also of a half-recipe).  You can use whatever kind of apple you have on hand.  I've used Gala, Pink Lady, Honey Crunch and Granny Smith (I think I used Ida Red in this recipe, but the sticker was in German so I'm not sure) they all work just as well.  I also just discovered when I was making this yesterday that it says to peel the apples first--totally missed that all the times I've made this recipe (which is A LOT).  So I guess what I'm saying, is that you don't actually have to peel them (although I think that it would make slicing it up a little neater). 

Puffed Apple Pancakes
    Adapted from Bon Appetit's Fast, Easy, Fresh Cookbook
    Click here for printable version

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
12 ounces Golden Delicious apples (about 2), peeled, cored, thinly sliced

1 cup whole milk
4 large eggs
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup all purpose flour

3 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar


Preheat oven to 425°F.   While oven is heating, place butter in 13"x9" glass baking dish (if you're making a half-recipe, 8"x8" or a round baker works well, too).  Place dish in oven until butter melts, about 5 minutes.  Remove dish from oven.  Place apple slices in overlapping rows atop melted butter in baking dish.  Return to oven and bake until apples begin to soften slightly and butter is bubbling and beginning to brown around edges of dish, about 10 minutes (I also do this while the oven is still pre-heating, although it usually takes a bit longer).

Meanwhile, whisk milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon in large bowl until well blended.  Add flour and whisk until batter is smooth.

Pour batter over apples in dish and sprinkle with brown sugar.  Bake pancake until puffed and brown, about 20 minutes.  Gather family around to admire your puffy golden creation and dig in while it's still warm!

This is awesome with just a drizzle of real maple syrup or you can sprinkle with powdered sugar.  I think next time I may fry up some bacon or breakfast sausages, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment